TOKYO/BERLIN, The pension trust of Mercedes-Benz (MBGn.DE) said it plans to sell its 3.8% stake in Nissan Motor (7201.T), worth around $346 million, a move that is expected to add further pressure on the Japanese automaker’s already weakened share price.
Nissan, Japan’s third-largest carmaker, has seen its shares tumble about 24% so far this year, dragged down by declining sales, restructuring efforts, and the impact of U.S. tariffs. The divestment comes as investors increasingly question the outlook for the company’s turnaround strategy, which involves cutting costs through plant closures both at home and abroad in a bid to restore profitability.
A spokesperson for Mercedes-Benz confirmed that the Nissan shares, which were transferred to its pension fund in 2016, are no longer considered strategically important. The divestment, the spokesperson said, is part of an effort to streamline and clean up the portfolio.
The share offering will be priced between 337.5 yen and 345 yen per share, representing a discount of 4.96% to 7.02% against Nissan’s closing price of 363 yen on Monday, according to the term sheet. Pricing is scheduled to be finalized before the Tokyo Stock Exchange opens on Tuesday, with settlement expected on Thursday. Nissan, which sold its own 1.5% stake in then-Daimler AG back in 2021 to raise funds amid financial strain, did not immediately comment on the sale.